Saturday, February 6, 2010

Maggie's Buns

My sister and I have had entrepreneurial aspirations for as long as I can remember. As children, much of our playtime centered around creating a "business" and then acting it out. Sort of like dress-up, but with a business plot line. One of our first creations was a circus, but without the animals, so really more like a fair. We "employed" the two younger kids who lived next door to us. (They served a dual purpose, in that they were our customers and our free child labor!) We spent most of our time creating carnival games, like a ring toss, a spin-the-wheel game, and a bean bag toss. As I remember it, many of our mother's cooking beans went to making homemade bean bags, and a good number of those beans ended up all over the backyard, when we didn't quite sew those little bags closed all the way. As you've probably noted, this early business dream does not translate well to an actual paying occupation. I'm guessing my parents are relieved that we didn't grow up to be carnies...

We also had a real estate firm, where we spent most of our time sitting at desks talking on old rotary dial phones, and setting up appointments to show people houses for sale. Oh, and most importantly, planning our dates for when we got off work! Then I went through a Nancy Drew phase, and we posted signs hiring ourselves out as detectives to anyone in the neighborhood who might need our services. Surprisingly, no one ever took us up on this! I can't begin to imagine why... I mean when you've read every Nancy Drew book ever written, you're bound to have better than average detective skills, right?

The business I remember being most "successful" was the C&H Diner. Heather and I would make our parents sit at the dining room table, while we whipped out our tablets and scribbled down their orders. We then spent an enormous amount of time in the kitchen totaling up how much this wonderful meal would cost before presenting them with the bill. We were some pretty tough waitresses and our customers weren't allowed to leave the dining room until they had paid up! Luckily for them, my sister and I had no concept of the cost of food, so they usually escaped having lost only the change in their pockets. I'm thinking this little diner game had more to do with making some quick cash for some toy we wanted to buy, and less to do with starting our own food-related business. But I'm pretty sure I saw an Oprah show once where she asked her guests what they remember enjoying most as a child and encouraging these people to turn this childhood passion into a dream. I'm on it, Oprah!

So then, it appears that we were always destined to work in the food business. Thank goodness, we have finally grasped the concept that to be successful in the food business, you actually have to serve some food! Which is exactly what the mother daughter team do at Maggie's Buns, a bakery and cafe, in Forest Grove, OR. A real-life, grown-up version of the "diner", where not only do they take your order and give you a bill, they actually feed you too. My friend Amanda introduced my sister and I to this lovely little spot this past week for lunch, and I'm so glad that she did. The place is very bright and cozy, and is decorated in a Bohemian, eclectic style, with multicolored chandeliers, mismatched tables and chairs, and a plastic set of Maggie's "buns" right at the front counter. Oh, and did I mention the fake deer head wearing a hat on a side wall? I think you get the idea....

But what this cafe lacks in polish, they more than make up for in friendliness and charm. And though the decorations might be a little "out there", the food is not. Think homey, comfort food, just like mom or grandma would make. (Well, if they were good home cooks, that is.) They have a whole display case of wonderful things to choose from, such as buttermilk baked chicken, turkey bacon wraps, Greek gyros, pasta dishes, and at least 6 different salads. And the prices won't break the bank. I chose the Sante Fe Quiche...



Heather got the Portabella Feta Crepes...



And Amanda got the Homemade Macaroni and Cheese...



And don't even get me started on the pastry display case... There was so much to choose from... cookies, muffin tops (exactly what the name says!), several different kinds of brownies, lemon bars, and fruit cobblers. I got a rasberry shortbread bar for the road. Mmmm.... a little piece of summer in the middle of winter... delightful!

If you're ever in the area, you should definitely give this place a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed...

- Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment