Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pass the Nuts, Please

As a kid, I didn't care for nuts much. Well, that's not exactly true, I liked nuts just fine all by themselves. Every time we went over to my grandparent's house for a holiday or a birthday get-together, there was always a bowl of cocktail peanuts, or the "fancy" mixed nuts with the cashews and almonds and pecans. My dad and grandpa could eat handfuls of those nuts at a time, and if you didn't stake out a spot near the nut bowl, you just might miss out. Even as a child, I was pretty serious about my food, and in the end, I think I gobbled up my fair share of those nuts.

But nuts in desserts was a whole other story... I was always the child, and the teen, and yes, maybe even the young adult, too, who always requested the brownie, or the chocolate chip cookie, or the ice cream sundae without nuts. I think it may have been a texture thing, but I usually felt like the nuts just got in the way and ruined whatever perfectly good dessert I was eating. And a dessert made entirely of nuts? That wasn't even an option on the menu. I don't believe a slice of pecan pie passed these lips until I was about 30 years old or so. Shocking, isn't it? I know what some of you are thinking... how in the world can I call myself a foodie, and not have tasted pecan pie until I was well into my adult years! I don't even know how I can defend myself on that one... though I am happy to report that my taste buds seem to have matured in the last few years...

A few years ago now, my grandmother came to Christmas dinner at my mother's house, and she brought with her a pecan pie that someone in her retirement home had made. This was a very unassuming and well, rather homely pie, and I'm not really sure what possessed me to try it, given that until then, as a general rule, I just didn't eat nut-infused desserts. But I did try it, and what's more, I liked it! And on that day, a door opened to a whole new category of desserts.... things with nuts! That might have been the best present I got that year.... okay, okay, I'm getting a little carried away now... but I would like to thank my grandmother's friend for baking that pie. I'm guessing she has no idea what a revelation that pie was for me.

And now I'm going to share a gift with you... the recipe for my Caramel Walnut-Pecan Squares, which are a serious crowd-pleaser. The original recipe came from the Fooday section of the Oregonian a few years back. I made them for my co-workers right before the holidays, and have gotten requests to make them again ever since. They are very much like a pecan pie, only in a bar form, and with the addition of walnuts. And to me they taste more carmel-y than a pecan pie. I think you should try them soon, and if you are not a desserts-with-nuts lover, this recipe just might convert you....

(I have to apologize in advance for the picture. Somehow, this picture does not do this dessert bar any justice at all. It really does taste much better than it looks. I promise!)


Caramel Walnut-Pecan Squares



Crust:
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (can use regular or baker's sugar)
  • 1/2 cup plus 6 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
Filling:
  • 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs granulated sugar (again, either type of sugar is fine)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 cups toasted and lightly broken pecans*
  • 2 cups toasted and lightly broken walnuts*
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10x15 inch baking pan (I used a ceramic lasagna pan, which worked well), and line with parchment paper so that there is at least an inch or so of the paper hanging off at each end (this helps to remove the squares from the pan after they have baked and some of the filling has oozed out).
  2. For the crust: In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the dough comes together. Turn the dough out into the prepared pan and press the dough evenly into the pan, building up the edges slightly. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until crust begins to brown and set. Remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
  3. For the filling: In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, honey and corn syrup and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once you reach a rolling boil (there should be bubbles in the middle of the pan, as well as the sides), boil for exactly 2 1/2 minutes. (Do not boil for any longer than this or the filling will become too hard and chewy.) Then remove from the heat and stir in cream, salt, vanilla and the nuts. Pour filling into cooled crust and spread evenly. Place the pan on center oven rack and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling in the center. Cool overnight and then cut into squares.
*Note: To toast the nuts, spread them on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until brown. Keep a close eye on them as it is very easy to overcook and burn them.

Enjoy!
-Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment